There’s nothing wrong with a plain dollop of mash every once in a while, and sometimes you don’t want anything too flavourful. Who wants chilli mashed potato as an accompaniment to their bangers… No one I bet.
But sometimes a little imagination is called for and sometimes you will want to pimp it up.
First, however, you need to have a decent base for your flavoured mashed potato, and that of course means you need to know how to make the creamiest, most velvety, lump free mash ever.
How to make the Perfect Mashed Potato
What you need per person: 200g Desiree or King Edward Potatoes, 1tbsp butter, 40ml milk, pinch of salt and black pepper.
What to do: Peel your potatoes and then cut into even sized chunks. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Add in your potatoes. Cook for between 15 to 20 minutes until the potatoes are cooked. Remove from the heat. Drain. Pour in the milk and mash gently with a potato masher. Add in the butter. Mash again until all the lumps are removed. Season with salt and black pepper. Using a wooden spoon, mix fast to get air into it and to make it creamy. Done.
Now let’s move on to the pimping up part…
20 Ways to Pimp Up your Mash
10 Things to Add After Mashing
Stir these ingredients into your mash right at the end when you have finished mashing your potato.
- Pesto – Stir in 1tbsp of pesto to the mash to give it that Italian twist.
- Grated Horse-radish – Add 1tsp of the horse-radish to the potatoes after mashing but ensure it is well combined.
- Truffle Oil – A bit extravagant but it’s one of those ingredients you might find in a gift set from the in laws from Christmas. Finally, there is a use!
- Tabasco – Give your mash a little kick with a drop of two of Tabasco. Be Reserved!
- Capers – Add a few tbsp of capers to your mash to give it a little saltiness.
- Mustard – Pick your mustard, add 1tsp and give it a good stir.
- Chives – A classic, but it had to be listed. Just slice some chives up, and add in. Done.
- Spring Onions – Slice them nice and thing, or julienne them, and add to your mash to give it an onion crunch.
- Cumin – Indian Mash! OK, probably not authentic but 1tsp of cumin will do wanders to mash and it tastes good!
- Crushed Walnuts – Sounds bizarre, but stir in some finely crushed walnuts and you’ll bring a wonderful nutty flavour to your mash.
5 Things to Add While Cooking
Add these ingredients into the pan when you are cooking the potatoes as they will require cooking also.
- Carrots – Add sliced carrots into the pan after the potatoes have been cooking for 5 minutes.
- Swede – Dice the swede up into chunks the same size as the potato and add to the pan at the same time.
- Sweet Potato – Peel and cut into chunks the same size as the potato and add to the pan at the same time.
- Kale or Cabbage – Rip up or slice the leaves and add for the last couple of minutes of cooking.
- Peas – Add in a handful of peas to your potatoes to add a little sweetness to your mash.
5 Things to Add While Mashing
Add these ingredients to the potatoes just before you begin the mashing as they require mashing too.
- Mascarpone – Substitute a little of the milk for Mascarpone to make your mash incredibly indulgent.
- Cheese – Cheddar or any other creamy variety of cheese would work well here, grate into the potatoes before you begin mashing so that it melts as you mash away.
- Lemon and Olive Oil – Sounds strange, but try it. Just add in the zest of half a lemon and a tbsp or two of olive oil and then mash away.
- Garlic – Crush in one clove of garlic and then mash. Make sure you do it when the potatoes are still really hot to take some of the harshness out of the garlic.
- Sliced Cherry Tomatoes – Huh?! OK, it’s odd I know, but again it’s one thing you have to try. Just a few cherry tomatoes will make your mash incredibly sweet.
There you have it, 20 mash potato ideas to pimp up your perfect mashes potato. I’m sure you’ll have your own ideas too… Feel free to share them below.[indeed-social-media sm_list='fb,tw,goo,rd,pt' sm_template='ism_template_3' sm_list_align='horizontal' sm_display_counts='true' sm_display_full_name='true' ]