It’s drummed into us everywhere: Eat 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day. It’s not always easy but it can be done and the recipes on Fiver Feeds aim to fill your bellies with a bulk of vegetables on a daily basis.
In the following blog post, we’re going to take a look at some easy ways to fulfil the requirements of eating 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day – It’s not as hard as it may initially seem.
We have a total of 12 different ways you can eat up those fruits and vegetables NOT including eating them as part of your dinner so out of our 20 easy ways, you only need to pick 2 or 3 to do a day so there’s a lot of variety for you here.
7 Easy Ways to Eat a Portion of Fruit
- Make sure everyone has a glass of fruit juice with their breakfast.
- Instead of cereal or toast for breakfast, make a fruit salad up to knock off 2 portions of fruit in the morning.
- As you’re leaving for work and school, grab a banana! It’s as simple as that. Do it every morning and you’ll notice a huge difference!
- Blitz the fruit up into a smoothie, you could easily get two portions of fruit into one smoothie and they’re SUPER easy!
- Jelly!!! Everyone loves jelly right? So instead of making up your normal jelly, throw in a handful of fruit per person into your jelly so that there’s small pieces of fruit in the jelly. Sweet and healthy!
- Yoghurt and fruit with a drizzle of honey won’t feel like a chore as it’s so sweet and creamy, it’ll feel like a treat.
- Make a fruit sauce to go over ice cream… OK, so it has a fair amount of sugar in it but if you make it with just fruit and a little icing sugar, you can put it towards 1 portion of fruit for the day.
5 Easy Ways to Eat a Portion of Vegetables
- As a snack, cut up some carrots and cucumber ‘batons’ that you can nibble away on.
- If you’re having a salad for lunch, grate over half a carrot for a fresh crunchy topping, but to also get a portion of vegetable in you… You could also try beetroot here but it does get a little bit on the messy side.
- Make sauces for your pasta dinners out of peppers and tomatoes. Just cook them down with some onion and garlic, whizz them up into a smooth sauce and mix with cooked pasta.
- Soups! They are an easy to make source of vegetables. Bung it all in a pan, seasons, blitz, enjoy!
- Vegetable rice is a brilliant way to eat vegetables and you can dice your vegetables up nice and small and get a decent mixture going in your rice dish.
So now you’ve got yourself 12 different ways to go about getting 5 portions of fruit and vegetables into your system on a daily basis (NOT including your normal meals that will of course include at least 1 portion, often 2 and sometimes 3 and 4). Eating 5 portions of fruit and vegetables SHOULDN’T be a chore and no longer will be with our tips!