1. Heat the oven to 140C/between Gas Mark 1 and 2.
2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan or stock pot and then add the rice. Stir, making sure each grain is coated.
3. Add the sugar to the pan and keep stirring until it has all dissolved. The rice should start to expand and become sticky.
4. Pour in the milk and whisk together to get rid of any lumps. Add the cream, vanilla and salt then heat until simmering.
5. Transfer to a casserole or baking dish and top with plenty of grated nutmeg.
6. Cook for approximately 1hr 30 minutes or until there is only a slight wobble in the middle.
7. Serve with a generous dollop of jam on the side.
Spruce it Up
There are so many ways you make our baked rice pudding a little different. Try swapping the nutmeg for a different spice, cinnamon being the obvious choice. Add another flavour by grating in the zest of an orange, not too much though. Or if you’re looking for something completely different then make sure you give our Coconut Milk Rice Pudding a go.