1. Heat your oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4 and grease a large baking dish.
2. Evenly slice your loaf if not already sliced. Lightly toast each slice and butter. Arrange them in even layers in the baking dish with the edges poking out so they crisp up once in the oven. Scatter the sultanas over the top.
3. Put the cream, milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl and whisk together until combined then evenly pour over the brioche and sultanas.
4. Grate some fresh nutmeg over the surface and leave to soak into the bread for 10 minutes before baking in the oven for 30 minutes.
5. Serve with cream, custard, ice cream or your favourite sauce.
Spruce it Up
No one would blame you for adding a handful of chocolate chips into the mix in replacement for the sultanas…