1. Prepare your stock in a large pan and leave on a simmer.
2. Fry your onion and garlic in the oil with a sprinkling of salt until tender and translucent in another pan. Remove from the pan and keep to one side.
3. Add the pancetta to the same pan and cook until it starts to crisp. Return the onion and garlic to the pan along with the diced squash and sage leaves. Mix together then add the Arborio rice and stir until all the grains are coated in oil.
4. Put a couple of ladles of stock into the pan and stir until most of the liquid has been absorbed into the rice. Continue this process until the grains are cooked – they shouldn’t be too soft but retain some bite and have a slightly nutty flavour. Be sure to not let the risotto get too dry – when it’s ready it should have a thick spooning consistency.
5. Stir in the butter, add further seasoning if required then remove from the heat. Serve topped with the grated Grana Padano cheese or stir the cheese in if you’d prefer.