1. Heat the oil over a medium heat in a large saucepan or frying pan then fry the onion and garlic with a little salt until almost tender. Add the curry powder and cook for another minute.
2. Put the diced butternut squash in the pan and coat with the onion and curry powder. Add the cardamom pods and stir for another minute or two.
3. Pour in the coconut milk and tomatoes then bring to the boil.
4. Add the chickpeas and simmer for approximately 25 minutes, letting the sauce thicken.
5. Meanwhile, boil up a pan of salted water and cook the basmati rice according to the packet instructions.
6. Serve the curry on a bed of fluffy basmati and to add a little freshness (completely optional of course) add a couple of fresh mint leaves.