1. Heat your oven to 150C/Gas Mark 3 and line a baking tray with parchment.
2. Whisk your eggs whites in a large, clean, metal bowl until they form soft peaks. Gradually whisk in the caster sugar and cocoa bit by bit until you have a thick and glossy meringue mix.
3. You can either spoon small rounds on the baking tray – these should take 20-25 minutes to cook – or you can put all the meringue mix in one flat circle on the baking sheet. This will give you a softer, chewier meringue in the middle. If you choose this option, reduce your oven temperature a small amount and bake for slightly longer – remember to check the outside of the meringue isn’t burning.
4. While you are waiting for your meringue to bake, start on the chocolate sauce – put all the ingredients in a small saucepan on a low heat. Keep stirring until the sugar has dissolved – this should take about 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep to one side.
5. Whisk your double cream until it thickens – be careful not to over whip or it will be too stiff.
6. Break up your meringue into small-medium chunks and fold into the cream along with the remaining dry ingredients. Spoon into portions and top with the chocolate sauce.