1. Separate the egg yolks from the whites by gently cracking the shell and splitting in half whilst tipping the yolk between the two halves over a bowl – this catches the whites while you are then left with the yolk in the shell.
2. Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until light and creamy. Add the mascarpone cheese and continue to beat well until combined.
3. Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until they form stiff peaks. Gently fold them into the mascarpone mix.
4. Make up your espresso coffee them pour into a shallow dish. Soak each sponge finger for a short amount of time in the coffee one by one until you have enough to cover the base of a baking dish/dessert tray (this should be about half of the sponge fingers).
5. Top them with half of your mascarpone mix then dust with half the cocoa powder. Repeat the process until you have topped this with another layer of sponge fingers and mascarpone. Dust the surface with the remaining cocoa and chill in the fridge for 4 hours.
Spruce it Up
If you’re not a fan of powdery chocolate then replace the cocoa powder with freshly grated chocolate. Just get a bar of dark chocolate and grate straight from the packet.