1. Place the pasta in a pan of boiling salted water and cook according to packet instructions.
2. In a large frying pan, heat the oil over a medium heat and fry the onion for a couple for minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic to the pan and cook for a further 2-3 minutes or until everything is tender.
3. Add in the soft cheese and stir, making sure everything is coated.
4. Season with the parsley, salt and pepper then add the cooked pasta pieces to the pan and coat with the mushroom sauce.
5. And… Well serve it up and enjoy, now that was easy wasn’t it?
Spruce it up
Still not convinced by the lack of meat? Then for a low cost meaty option, add a handful of bacon lardons when you’re cooking the onion until they’re brown all over. We all know how well mushrooms and bacon go together.
And of course, you don’t need to limit yourself to penne pasta. Try it with other varieties such as spaghetti and linguine.