1. Heat your oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4 and line or grease a loaf tin.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy using a processor or wooden spoon.
3. Stir in the eggs and lemon zest until combined.
4. Sieve the flour then gently fold this and the salt into the mixture. Once combined, add the milk.
5. Spoon into the loaf tin and bake for approximately 45 minutes, or until a skewer comes out of the cake clean.
6. While you are waiting, start making the syrup – gently heat the lemon juice and sugar together in a small pan until all the sugar has dissolved.
7. Once the cake is cooked, leave in the tin and use a skewer to puncture holes in the surface. Pour the syrup over the cake until it has been absorbed then leave in the tin to cool completely before you remove it.