1. Heat the oven to 230C/Gas Mark 8 and bake the aubergine whole on a tray for 20-30 minutes seasoned with a decent sprinkling of salt.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and fry the onion for a couple of minutes. Add the garlic and curry powder then fry for a further minute or two until everything is soft.
3. When the aubergine is ready, scoop out the flesh and chop into small pieces roughly. The skin can be tough so discard the skin.
4. Add the aubergine, yoghurt, tomatoes and chilli to the onions then cook for 15 minutes over a medium to low heat, season with a little salt and black pepper.
5. Serve with the warm pitta (or naan) breads on the side.
Spruce it up
If you want to bulk it up a little more, try adding some diced potato to create a delicious aubergine and potato curry. Also experiment with spices and what you have in the cupboard. We’ve kept it basic, but try adding a touch of cumin, ground coriander, mustard seeds and turmeric. These spices all work perfectly together so just experiment with what you have. Finally, if you like things hotter, don’t worry about deseeding the chilli.