1. First of all get a large pan over a medium heat and add a few tbsp of olive oil.
2. Once hot, add your onion and turn the heat down and cook for 5 minutes or so until it has softened then add in your carrot and garlic and continue to stir and cook for another 3 minutes.
3. Tip in your tinned tomatoes with the sugar and give it all a good mix up then sprinkle in the oregano. Give it a final stir, cover and turn the heat right down and allow to simmer.
4. Meanwhile, put a large pan of salted water over a high heat and bring it to the boil. Once boiling cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions.
5. While the spaghetti is cooking, keep an eye on the sauce, if it’s looking a little dry just add a splash of water to loosen it all up again. Give it a taste, add salt and pepper accordingly and throw in your basic and now wait for the pasta.
6. Once cooked, drain the pasta and then tip the pasta on to the sauce and keep it over the heat for a minute while you toss it all together to coat the spaghetti in your sauce.
7. Serve immediately with a good grating of parmesan.