1. Fill a large saucepan with salted water and bring to the boil.
2. Cook the spaghetti for 10 minutes, or until ‘al dente’ (it should still retain a bit of firmness).
3. Meanwhile, put around 50g of the grated parmesan in a bowl to one side then in a different bowl or cup, whisk the eggs until beaten and season with black pepper.
4. Melt the butter in a large frying pan. Once it’s bubbling, add the bacon pieces. Fry for a couple of minutes, then put the garlic in the pan and cook until the bacon is crispy.
5. Once the spaghetti is ready, remove the pan from the heat but don’t take the pasta out of the water.
6. Wait until the bacon is ready. Turn off the heat on the frying pan then using tongs, transfer the spaghetti into the pan with the bacon. It doesn’t matter if some of the water goes into the pan too as it helps to create a silky sauce. Toss the spaghetti and the bacon together.
7. Mix the beaten eggs and parmesan together then pour over the spaghetti. Quickly toss together until all the pasta is covered and it looks nice and glossy. You don’t want to eggs to cook through but it doesn’t matter if there are a few scrambled bits.
8. Serve immediately, topped with the leftover parmesan and some more black pepper along with the parsley if using. Serve as it is or with a side salad.