1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion with a little salt for a couple of minutes until almost soft.
2. Add the garlic and curry paste then fry for a further minute. Keep stirring so it doesn’t burn and stick to the bottom of the pan.
3. Add the sweet potato and coat the chunks in the paste before pouring in the chopped tomatoes and coconut milk.
4. Bring to the boil and add the chick peas. Season with additional salt if required then simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the sweet potato is cooked through.
5. Remove from the heat and fold in the spinach leaves.
6. Serves with basmati rice or flat breads.
Make your Own Balti Paste
It can be expensive making your own pastes if you need to go out and buy all the ingredients but chances are, you’ll have some of the required ingredients.
Toast the following in a frying pan until they start to crack/pop/spit: 5tbsp Coriander Seeds, 3tbsp Cumin Seeds, 1 Cinnamon Stick, 1tbsp Dried Chilli (not powder!), 1tsp Mustard Seeds, 1tbsp Cardamom Seeds, 3tbsp Curry Powder, 3tbsp Turmeric, 1tbsp Ground Ginger. Once it’s cracking, place in a pestle and mortar and bash it up then add 2tbsp, maybe a little more, of olive oil and bash it all a little more to create your paste.