1. In a large pan heat the oil then add the chopped onion and garlic. Fry until soft for around 5-6 minutes.
2. Add the curry paste and cook for a minute on a low heat with the onions and garlic being careful not to let it burn (add more oil if required).
3. Drain the chickpeas and rinse in a sieve then put these in the pan along with the cubed sweet potato. Toss these in the curried onion mix then add the chopped tomatoes and stir.
4. Fill the empty can or carton of tomatoes with water then add this to the pan.
5. Season with salt to taste then bring to the boil before simmering for 30 minutes.
6. Cook the rice according to the packet instructions and serve the curry on a bed of basmati.