1. Put the potato sections in a pan of salted water and bring to the boil. Simmer for approximately 10 minutes, or until you can slide a knife easily through them. Remove from the heat, drain and mash.
2. Place the chilli, garlic, lime leaves, spring onion and salmon in a large bowl. Season to taste with the fish sauce and lime juice, then combine with the mashed potatoes. Add any further seasoning if required. Keep tasting it until it’s how you like it. You might want a little more salt, a bigger hit of chilli or more of burst from the lime. When happy, shape into small patties.
3. Put the flour in a separate bowl and season with salt and pepper. Cover each fishcake patty in the flour and dust off any excess.
4. Heat some oil in a pan and shallow fry on both sides until golden brown. Alternatively, if you have a deep fat fryer, you can cook them in this instead.
5. Serve simply with either a side salad or some steamed Chinese vegetables (such as Pak Choi).